We all go through grief at various times in our lives. At any given time, a significant portion of our congregation is in active grief. One of the proven ways of working through our times of grief is to share space with others in similar situations. Nancy and John Vlastelica are long time members of the church family who have experience coordinating support groups. They have graciously offered to convene a new grief support group meeting on Wednesday evenings at 5:30 pm, beginning on December 6. Pastor Peter will be supporting this work with occasional visits with the group as well.
Here are just a few of the benefits of a support group:
- Emotional and physical support in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
- Support and understanding from others who have experienced a similar loss.
- The opportunity to continue the healing process through sharing your own story and hearing the stories of others.
- Coping skills to help you through the most difficult days of your grief journey.
- Hope through companionship with people who “get it” and understand first-hand what you’re going through.
- Permission to grieve and permission to live a happy productive life.
The new Grief Support Group is the latest in a small group support programs which include Parkinson’s Support, Care Giver’s Support, and Depression Support. For information about any of these programs, please contact the church office.