Vacation Bible Camp is an annual tradition at First Olympia! We are thrilled to welcome church families as well as dozens of children from our community for a week of fellowship, crafts, science experiments, games, singing, snacks, Scripture stories and more! This year’s theme is Hero Central, a superhero based curriculum from Cokesbury.
VBC: Hero Central is open to children ages 5-12.
Childcare is available on site for infants, toddlers and children under 5.
If you have a teen who is 13 or older and would like to volunteer please contact Angelina Goldwell (email@example.com).
REGISTRATION FOR VBC 2017 has concluded. We hope to see you in 2018! Scroll down to see other VBC opportunities at other United Methodist churches in the area.
- Fun! Our priority is that your child have a positive and memorable experience while growing in her/his faith.
- Friendly and enthusiastic volunteers! From the registration table to the rotation station our volunteers are excited to make VBC an amazing time for everyone! (All VBC volunteers receive a background check and safe sanctuaries training)
- Age-based small groups! Your child/ren will be placed into a small group(no more than 12 in Pre-K/K and no more than 15 in older groups) with children in her/his peer group.
- Rotation stations! Each day all of the children gather with their group leaders in our sanctuary for opening assembly and the Bible story of the day. Afterwards, each group rotates through 4 stations: crafts, science experiments, dance & music, and outdoor recreation. There will also be healthy snack time. The activities at each station build on the themes of the daily Bible story. For their last rotation your child’s small group will gather for reflection time with their small group leader to tie the day together. This reflection time will also include 1-2 service projects. Finally, everyone gathers together again for our closing assembly.
- Healthy snacks! Our snack coordinator plans our daily snacks. Each day’s snack is thematic and includes fresh fruit/veggies and protein. If your child has a food allergy or dietary restriction please let us know. Our snack coordinator and kitchen crew and happy to accommodate any special needs your child may have.
- A safe, welcoming environment for your child/ren. At First Olympia we believe that God is at work in all people. Our volunteers emphasize community building, friendship making and positive engagement opportunities for all participants.
- An easy registration process. Whether you register online or in person you will receive an email letting you know we have received your child’s registration paperwork. As we get closer to our VBC date you will receive 1-2 emails with additional VBC information. When you and your child/ren arrive on your first day you will be greeted by our registration volunteers and directed to your child’s small group.
- An opportunity to meet our pastors. Each morning of VBC from 9am-10am our pastors will be available for informal coffee and conversation.
- Mid-week worship with your family. We invite all VBC families to attend Messy Church on Wednesday night from 5:30pm-7:00pm. Messy Church is a family friendly worship opportunity that includes: crafts & games to introduce the Bible story, a brief worship service including songs & stories, and a communal meal.
- End of the week BBQ celebration. On Friday we invite all our VBC families to attend a family friendly BBQ from 12:30pm-2pm – immediately following the end of VBC.
VBC Daily Schedule
9-9:30am – Welcome (10-15 mins) & Bible Story (10-15 mins)
9:35am-10:00am – Rotation 1 (Craft / Science / Dance & Music / Recreation)
10:05am-10:30am – Rotation 2 (Craft / Science / Dance & Music / Recreation)
10:35am-11:00am – Rotation 3 (Craft / Science / Dance & Music / Recreation)
11:00am-11:15am – Snack
11:20am – 11:45am – Rotation 4 (Craft / Science / Dance & Music / Recreation)
11:50am-12:15pm – Rotation 5: Mission Time / Reflection Time
12:20pm-12:30/35pm – Closing
Looking for other Methodist VBC options?
Lacey-St. Andrew’s will be doing Hero Central from August 7-10.
To register please contact: saumc
Evergreen UMC (Lacey) is offering a week of community service from August 14-18 for 6th grade and up. Click the “Evergreen UMC” link for details on this opportunity.
Interfaith Summer Camp Opportunity
One of Frist Olympia’s partners, Interfaith Works, is leading an interfaith day camp for children grades 2-5, August 7-11. For more information please see their website.